At SilverIP, we’re proud to be able to offer the fastest Internet speeds available in Chicago. Our fast, secure network allows SilverIP customers to experience dependable speeds up to a a gigabit per second. While competitors are spending their time with silly catch phrases and hyping gig speeds as the next big thing, we’ve spent years working to ensure that our network provides truly fast speeds in the best and most secure manner.
We’re also happy to help customers decide what Internet speeds are actually necessary for their home or business. One question customers frequently ask is, “Do I really need gigabit Internet?” Our answer depends on what you use your Internet connection for.
For residential Internet customers, here are things to consider:
- How many people are in my home? If you live alone or have only one roommate or partner, you may not see a difference in your day to day Internet usage with a gigabit Internet plan. If you have a large family that connects many devices at once though, everyone will likely enjoy an optimal browsing and streaming experience if you have gigabit Internet service.
- Are there gamers in your home? If there’s only one gamer in your house and you’re not using your Internet connection for anything else while you’re playing, you can probably get away with a connection that isn’t as fast as 1 GB/second. If there are multiple gamers in your home or other devices are using your connection while you are gaming, gigabit Internet may be beneficial.
- Do you work from home? Depending on what field you work in, you may see real benefits from a gigabit Internet plan. If you transfer large files, work with cloud-based applications, or complete other tasks online, gig speeds can increase efficiency and productivity.
- Do you watch 4K movies? If you enjoy streaming 4K movies, a gigabit Internet connection can be a valuable addition to your home. While standard HD movies can typically be enjoyed on slower connections, 4K movies transfer much more data and can often lag. A gigabit connection will provide the best possible streaming experience for your 4K movies.
- Can my computer achieve Gigabit speeds? Some older computers and software do not support gigabit speeds. Before upgrading to gigabit speeds, you may want to double check to ensure that you can take advantage of the faster service. SilverIP’s concierge support team can help you determine if your computer or devices can support gigabit connections.
For business Internet customers, the questions include:
- How many people work at your company?
- How many devices do most employee have connected to your network at once?
- How many people work via WiFi compared to those using a wired connection? Gigabit Internet is the most effective through a wired connection.
- How often do employees send or receive large files?
- How much internal collaboration is done through cloud services?
- Does your business rely on cloud-based tools or services like Dropbox, Google Drive, Basecamp or Adobe Creative Cloud for daily productivity?
SilverIP’s business support team is experienced in helping each client determine which Internet speed is best for your company. While some companies don’t need gigabit Internet, others find that gigabit Internet greatly improves their productivity.
We encourage any potential residential or business customer to reach out to SilverIP’s concierge support team to learn more about our locally-managed, secure gigabit Internet network.