The MHA Blog
Archive of the Category 'Articles'
SilverIP’s New Cord-Cutting Guide
SilverIP’s new cord-cutting guide provides information on streaming devices, Smart TVs, direct peering, streaming services, and other things to consider when preparing to cut the cord. Check it out today to learn more about the cord-cutting process, review our “Before You Cut” questionnaire, and more.
Do you really need gigabit Internet?
At SilverIP, we’re proud to be able to offer the fastest Internet speeds available in Chicago. Our fast, secure network allows SilverIP customers to experience dependable speeds up to a a gigabit per second. While competitors are spending their time with silly catch phrases and hyping gig speeds as the next big thing, we’ve spent years working to ensure that our network provides truly fast speeds in the best and most secure manner.
We’re also happy to help customers decide what Internet speeds are actually necessary for their home or business. One question customers frequently ask is, “Do I really need gigabit Internet?” Our answer depends on what you use your Internet connection for.
For residential Internet customers, here are things to consider:
- How many people are in my home? If you live alone or have only one roommate or partner, you may not see a difference in your day to day Internet usage with a gigabit Internet plan. If you have a large family that connects many devices at once though, everyone will likely enjoy an optimal browsing and streaming experience if you have gigabit Internet service.
- Are there gamers in your home? If there’s only one gamer in your house and you’re not using your Internet connection for anything else while you’re playing, you can probably get away with a connection that isn’t as fast as 1 GB/second. If there are multiple gamers in your home or other devices are using your connection while you are gaming, gigabit Internet may be beneficial.
- Do you work from home? Depending on what field you work in, you may see real benefits from a gigabit Internet plan. If you transfer large files, work with cloud-based applications, or complete other tasks online, gig speeds can increase efficiency and productivity.
- Do you watch 4K movies? If you enjoy streaming 4K movies, a gigabit Internet connection can be a valuable addition to your home. While standard HD movies can typically be enjoyed on slower connections, 4K movies transfer much more data and can often lag. A gigabit connection will provide the best possible streaming experience for your 4K movies.
- Can my computer achieve Gigabit speeds? Some older computers and software do not support gigabit speeds. Before upgrading to gigabit speeds, you may want to double check to ensure that you can take advantage of the faster service. SilverIP’s concierge support team can help you determine if your computer or devices can support gigabit connections.
For business Internet customers, the questions include:
- How many people work at your company?
- How many devices do most employee have connected to your network at once?
- How many people work via WiFi compared to those using a wired connection? Gigabit Internet is the most effective through a wired connection.
- How often do employees send or receive large files?
- How much internal collaboration is done through cloud services?
- Does your business rely on cloud-based tools or services like Dropbox, Google Drive, Basecamp or Adobe Creative Cloud for daily productivity?
SilverIP’s business support team is experienced in helping each client determine which Internet speed is best for your company. While some companies don’t need gigabit Internet, others find that gigabit Internet greatly improves their productivity.
We encourage any potential residential or business customer to reach out to SilverIP’s concierge support team to learn more about our locally-managed, secure gigabit Internet network.
Providing High-Speed Internet to Chicago’s Favorite Events and Festivals
While you may know of SilverIP for our ultra-fast residential and business Internet service, we also provide on-site service for events, festivals, construction sites and other short-term needs. In fact, SilverIP has provided dependable Internet service for popular Chicago events like Lollapalooza, Pitchfork Music Festival, the Shamrock Shuffle, Curque Du Soleil, NBA Draft Combine and Riot Fest.
These popular events rely on SilverIP because of our straightforward, turnkey approach to event and outdoor Internet. We handle on-site installation and provide ongoing support and monitoring. Our experienced staff can also provide complimentary technical consulting. With speeds up to 1 gigabit available, SilverIP is the ideal solution for events of all sizes who depend on a reliable, fast Internet connection.
Have you ever attended a festival, craft fair or other large event and found that it takes forever for your credit card to process when you purchase something? The likely reason for the slow processing is that attendees and other event staff are using up all of the bandwidth. SilverIP’s managed Wi-Fi service is the perfect solution for issues like this. We’re able to allocate different amounts of bandwidth to different parts of your event. Attendees can be restricted to a certain percentage of bandwidth, technical staff can have their necessary bandwidth and vendors can have bandwidth to process credit cards. SilverIP’s managed Wi-Fi services are custom-tailored to your event to ensure that staff and attendees have the best Wi-Fi experience possible.
The Best Places to Put Your WiFi Router in Your Home
The placement of your WiFi router in your home can have a big impact on your WiFi speed and the range of your connection. While it’s often easiest to keep your router under your desk or in a metal cabinet in the corner of your apartment, doing so can mean that your connection isn’t as strong as it could be.
Below are some of the best places to keep your WiFi router in your home.
Centralized in Your Home
WiFi routers emit radio waves which spread out and towards the ground. Putting your router as close to the center of your home will ensure that the waves reach as much of the house as possible. If you have a second floor, you may want to consider mounting the router near the ceiling of the first floor so the connection is strong on both floors.
On a High Shelf or Desk
If you’re not able to centralize your router, try to put it on a high shelf or desk. Avoid the floor, as that will minimize the emission of the router’s radio waves.
Not in the Kitchen
Kitchen appliances, especially microwaves, are not your router’s friend. Microwaves actually use frequencies around the same as routers, so you could notice your Internet slowing down when someone uses the microwave.
Away from Your TV or Metal Objects
Metal objects and TVs can reflect your router’s signal, causing it to disperse. Consider a wood or plastic shelf for your router, or mount it on a wall as suggested above.
Check your Router’s Antenna Position
If your router features an external antenna, one of the easiest way to optimize your router’s performance is to experiment with different antenna positions. Typically, vertical positions are optimal, but experimenting can bring surprising results.
SilverIP’s concierge support team can help you determine the best location for your router in your home. Email us at email@example.com or call 312-6000-3800 if you need assistance.
Chicago Small Businesses Boost Productivity with SilverIP
SilverIP is pleased to be the Internet service provider of many local Chicago businesses. Companies like The Second city, Harris Theater at Millennium Park, Smashotels, Baum Revision and even Millennium Park rely on our ultra-fast, dependable Internet. Here’s some reasons why we’re trusted by so many Chicago businesses.
Consistently Fast Speeds
SilverIP provides consistently fast, symmetric speeds that are the fastest you’ll find in Chicago. Symmetric means that you’ll get the same upload and download speeds. Our industry-leading 99.99% uptime means that your connection is dependable too. SilverIP’s dependability allows you to focus on your work without being distracted by fluctuating Internet speeds or downtime.
Local Concierge Support
Our business support team has experience working with Chicago businesses of all sizes. We use that experience to help our business clients determine the Internet service that is appropriate for them. Whether you’re a small startup who needs Internet for your new office or you’re Lollapalooza and need us to keep the operations team connected, we’re able to provide you with exactly what you need. We can also suggest hardware and software to optimize your Internet connection and technology.
No more confusing bills with a long list of fees and taxes! With SilverIP, you pay a simple, straightforward price each month. We don’t hold you to a longterm contract either and you can upgrade or downgrade at anytime.
Help When You Need It
While our service is dependable, there are times when you may need our help. Whether you need help troubleshooting a connection issue, want to replace your router or you’re upgrading your company’s technology, SilverIP’s business concierge support team is here to help. Our goal is to help Chicago businesses succeed by providing the best service and support possible.
If your business doesn’t use SilverIP, we encourage you to contact our business support team at 312-600-3810 or firstname.lastname@example.org today. You can also learn more about our business services at silverip.com/business.